Frequently asked questions…..

What do I need to bring?

Water-proof jacket and trousers, these don’t have to be expensive sailing clothes, walking/golf equipment should be fine. Also bring some warm clothes including hat, scarf, sailing gloves and thermal underwear. Several thin layers are better than two thick layers. If you are just starting out sailing, there is no need to spend huge amounts of money on expensive clothing. Even an inexpensive set of thermal long johns and a vest will keep you warm. For those considering doing a lot of sailing it would be worth thinking about purchasing a dedicated breathable layer system. This normally consists of a thermal base layer, a mid-layer fleece with breathable wet weather gear as an outer layer. Some examples of manufacturers who supply more specialist types of sailing clothing are Gill Marine and Musto, all of which can be purchased from Kildale Marine in Hull.

Don’t forget sunglasses, sun cream and your wash kit. Please Note, Soft holdalls for luggage only please.

What footwear do I need to bring?

Sailing boots are advisable along with deck shoes or non-marking trainers. It is usually possible to purchase boots at a chandlery in marinas.

Do I need to bring my passport?

Yes, if you are coming on a Cross Channel trip or Distance Cruise, please don’t forget your passport. We also recommend you bring your EH1C (formerly E111) available from your local Post Office or online at (FREE of charge). Passports are not required on any other courses.

Do you take under 18s on courses?

Under 18s are welcome on courses when accompanied by a parent / guardian who is over the age of 18. Under 16s are permitted on courses when part of a group booking which includes at least one person who is over the age of 18.

Do I need to do an actual course to come sailing?

Whether you want more experience or just a break from everyday life, come along for a week or weekend sail. You do not need to be doing a particular course to come sailing with us.

Will I get seasick?

Even Nelson suffered from sea sickness. If you know you are susceptible, then it is worth bringing some motion sickness tablets such as Stugeron with you – available at pharmacies.

I am a complete novice and want to go sailing with my friends but don’t want to get in the way. What course would help me to understand more?

The ideal course for you is the Competent Crew course. It is the course for the absolute beginner to learn the basics and enjoy the delights of sailing. At the end of this course, you will have become a confident and competent member of crew.

Despite being a boat owner for many years, I have only ever sailed in local waters. I would now like to go on some longer coastal passages but as this is new to me, I would like some tuition. What would you recommend?

We understand that sometimes you want to learn in the familiar environment of your own boat and with people you know. We can come onboard your yacht and teach you anything from a full RYA course to some instruction focused on your individual requirements.

My family and I are hoping to buy our own yacht. What qualifications do I need?

If you have no previous experience, you will need to start with the Competent Crew course followed by the Day Skipper theory and practical courses. Completion of these courses will give you the skills required to skipper a cruising yacht on short passages during daylight hours. You will also need to complete a one day, Marine Radio SRC (Short Range Certificate) course so you are able to use your VHF radio onboard.

If you have any further questions, please get in touch.