This is the new online course for new and re-validating RYA Commercial Endorsement holders.
The course is run by Yorvik Sailing through the RYA eLearning website ryainteractive.org. We will be on hand to help with queries during the course. Yorvik Sailing will book this course on your behalf and send the sign up details to your email.
Each year around 4500 people apply to the RYA for a commercial endorsement in order to use their RYA qualifications professionally as skipper or crew. From April 2012 anyone wishing to re-validate or apply for the endorsement must complete the online PPR course first. This applies to the following certificates:
- Yachtmaster Ocean
- Yachtmaster Offshore
- Yachtmaster Coastal
- Day Skipper Practical (tidal)
- Day Skipper Practical (non-tidal) supported by Day Skipper Shorebased
- Advanced Powerboat Course Completion Certificate (only if issued before 1st Jan 2005)
- Powerboat Advanced Certificate of Competence
- Powerboat Level 2
During the course you will cover the legal framework that commercial operators need to adhere to – whatever vessel they work on. While we can’t teach the specific rules for every type of operation, the course will help you understand and execute your duty of care, and give you principles, guidance and techniques to help make the right choices and decisions.
The course is split into 4 sections;
- Commercial environment- showing how you fit into the professional maritime world
- People- explaining the importance of correct manning, keeping skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels
- Vessel- teaching about the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment, and how to create an implement risk control and operating procedures
- Purpose- making sure the vessel is suitable and legal for the work, obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness
At the end of these four training modules will come two online assessments.